24 September 2010

Review of 'Infinity on High' by Fall Out Boy

(Credit to owners and Fall Out Boy. It's not mine.)
My Rank: 4.5 out of 5 -> It Sucks When You Borrow Something Awesome That Isn't Yours

Yep. I am guilty. But before you set my ass on fire for saying that a Fall Out Boy album is good, allow me to explain...

Whatever the drama and politics are about this band, I have no idea about them and I don't really care. Pete Wentz? Not hot. Not interesting. Have him all you want ladies. Their break-up? Doesn't concern me much, but I truly am depressed that Paramore had to replace them in terms of annoyance. Hayley's band might have only one okay song on a sucky movie soundtrack, but at least FOB has an album worth buying.

About three years ago, my cousin and I switched CDs that we wanted to try out. As she got two of mine, I got two of hers, and this was one of them. At that time, I enjoyed "Thnks Fr Th Mmrs" so much that it was a song that I was dying for. I was so into it that I thought of giving FOB a try, especially since my expansion of music taste was still young. After listening in its entirety, this is one CD I regret not buying.

The urge to review this just came up recently since I felt I haven't listened to this album in a long time. Good thing I get to let it out now on this lovely blog. :)

As a lover of rock music, this is overrated, but it does deserve some of its credit. Each song brings a different image to mind based on the elements in the music (a chorus on "Hum Hallelujah" or a riot-esque anthem in "This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race.") Every album has that kind of thing going on, but for some reason, Fall Out Boy does it and stay interesting until the end. There are several favorites of mine: "Thriller," which has a pretty cool intro and outro spoken by Jay-Z (who'd da thunk?); "I'm Like a Lawyer... (Me and You)" for it starting bland and slow and then building up to this melancholic, epic chorus; "Don't You Know...?" for it being catchy and fun (which I normally avoid like the plague); and "You're Crashing..."

Yes, I shortened all the titles since they are insanely long. Especially this one...

"I'm Like a Lawyer with the Way I'm Always Trying to Get You Off (Me and You)" <- and it's not my favorite because the title is the longest on the album.

However, no matter how much I enjoy this album, Fall Out Boy was always overrated. But I had to give them credit for getting me to really like an album. To this day, I still have to thank them, even if I never will be reputable as a "true metalhead" or whatever people think of me. (Someone once said I was a goth... another an emo...)

Anyway, is this album buyable? I say so if you are a fan of pop rock or alternative rock music. Not willing to give it a try since it's FOB? That's fine. I recommend to at least give one of their five singles off this a try.

This album sits next to Meteora when it comes to solid alternative rock albums that I can listen to from start to finish. I'll continue to remember how much I enjoyed this album for a few days. Maybe I'll buy this album the next time I'm in FYE. :)

My last words... REMEMBER: Emo ain't a scene... "it's a goddamn arms race"! :P

1 comment:

Tenebris In Lux said...

I love that -- "Emo ain't a scene .. it's a goddam arms race."

Don't worry. I'm sure you've discovered my list of music confessions ;p

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...