20 May 2010

The Perfect Cover, But What's Inside?

It seems that I'll create an entry today. Thursday, Friday, Saturday: what's the difference?

I had the urge to write for the past few days and I'm glad that I can right now. Hopefully I can get this done before Gakuen Alice steals my attention for the millionth time this week. (I just started reading that manga series this week, and I'm hooked!)

Anyway. Back. To. Business. *ahem*

Yesterday, my Spanish teacher was absent once again, so my classmates and I had study hall in the cafeteria for eighth period. I sat with my two friends (let's just call them Adrian and Jess to keep their real names unknown) and we didn't bother working on the written assignment we were given. We chatted and joked around a lot because we dont sit near each other anymore in class. Adrian and I have been friends since last year, and I just got to know Jess this semester.

While we were talking, Adrian pointed out at the artwork on display in the cafeteria. She noticed that one kid did a picture of Heath Ledger as the Joker. Then we were talking about The Dark Knight and other movies with superheroes. All of a sudden Adrian asks Jess if James Franco is hot; much to my amusement, Jess had no idea who he was until Adrian said he played Harry in the Spider-Man movies. The next few minutes were about hot guys and about who has the "perfect face."

As a bit of a note, movies with superheroes in any shape or form bores me (The Incredibles is an exception). When I saw The Dark Knight I was ready to jump off a cliff: Gary Oldman's character died (T-T), the girl blew up, and there was a new bad guy for no reason when 75% of the movies is over! The only thing that kept me said was the Joker. I will admit Heath Ledger did an amazing job (he is still missed). But when I told people how much I disliked the movie, they all looked at me as if I was from another planet. I didn't mind so much because I get the treatment all the time. XD

Normally it seems that I don't agree with society as a whole: all the movies they love, I hate; all the music they worship as godlike talent, I find it boring and unoriginal; and all the people they claim is hot enough to swoon over, I look at the person and remain unaffected. As much as I love Adrian, one of my best friends, she hasn't found many guys that make me say "he's pretty hot." I can count only one person... Johnny Depp. Every other guy, like that James Franco, didn't impress me much. Maybe I'm picky, maybe I'm not boy-crazy, maybe I don't like to see which guys are worthy of drooling over, but Adrian gave up after trying for months.

The main reason why I wanted to write this was to think about what is the "perfect face." I quite frankly don't believe there is such a thing. Even if you do find that perfect, platinum face, does that person have a personality, heart, and soul of that same material? The cutest guy can be a jackass, and the ugliest guy can be the nicest, most pure soul ever. The "perfect face" my friend was talking about is only what society believes. Heck, there was probably a time when muscular, tanned, sweaty men were out and pale ghosts were in! To me, an attractive guy can have one amazing feature, or a combination of features that just somehow work out great. I might have a liking for dark-haired, light-eyed guys, but there might be some guy who has blonde hair and brown eyes and still be attractive!

Adrian and I tend to disagree on physical appearances often. She wears make-up every day and looks her best; I comb my hair put it in a ponytail and put on some relaxing, baggy clothes. She wears designer clothes that were knocked down to an insanely cheap price; I shop at Khol's. Right there, it's kinda obvious that we have our different preferences in how we dress. Sometimes, I think she can go a day without a lot of make-up; sometimes she wants me to wear clothes that accent my body and not "hide it." But at the end of the day, we're good friends, regardless of our wardrobes and beauty habits (of which I have little to none, lol).

Hopefully I didn't stray too far off topic. But whatever the "perfect face" is, I don't need to find it, and I don't care if some people say I might have it. That's just another worry, another chore, another stress, another burden that I don't want to bear. I'm satisfied with me, and I don't like to point at someone because of how they express themselves in clothes, or how their face is shaped. Maybe it's too idealistic, but that's what I live by.

There was the phrase "don't judge a book by it's cover" for a reason not just for stories, movies, and situations...

2 comments:

Corrie said...

A good blog post, Maggie! I liked it. Keep it up! ^_^

Melanie~Light said...

thankies, Corrie! :D *hugs*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...