29 May 2010

Stuck With Nothing! (with a lame review)

Today was rather busy as I went shopping with my dad. We took a 45-min drive to Lehigh Valley Mall and checked out the Apple store and FYE. Dad bought a new stand for his iPad (he always must have the latest gadgets! -_-) and I bought TWO pairs of headphones to last me a year! It's sad how I go through a pair in six months and how I beg my dad to buy me more. But I love music so much that I need to hear something everyday wether if it's on my iPod or my boom-box on my nightstand (which has been my buddy for at least 10 years!). And I couldn't leave FYE without buying a CD. FYE has been greedy for so long that I couldn't buy a HIM album, released five years ago, without coughing up $25.00 to cover the actual price and the tax! Fortunately, I got a CD I never though I'd buy anywhere for a good $10.00. Why would I miss that opportunity?

This entry will probably be more disorganized because so much is going through my head and so much is going on. Earlier this week, I had a great idea for an entry until the wonderful side of me told me to type it up as soon as possible. But did the forgetful me do so? Nope. So this time I have little to no idea what to type about at the present time. I might blab on about music in the future, but not until I'm used to writing mostly for myself (and the two followers who don't mind my psychotic babbling).

No really, I'm drawing a blank, and I'm typing about drawing a blank. What sane person would do that? I'm mad! Stay away! XD

Well, maybe for the time being, I'll type what comes to mind.

As I mentioned, my day has been busy in the sense that I had spent quite a bit of time with stuff to do and not being bored. I love those days when you do whatever you want and in the end it's all worth it. The summer might have those times for a while until the days grow monotonous and really uneventful. My parents and I did a bit of organizing our house all morning; dad and I went shopping in the afternoon; the three of us watched Surrogates this evening; and I finished the final few episodes of the Gakuen Alice anime just now. Things all in all were balanced out in the end, and i am quite satisfied with my day.

Just to make a [semi] quick review of the movie, I thought Surrogates was interesting, but it felt too short. You those kinds of movies that somehow just go by so quickly, wether you enjoy it a lot or not much at all? It was funny how that turned out, even though it's barely an hour and a half long. Forgetting the length, one reason the movie went by so fast was because everything was "rushed". The plot was decent, but it didn't progress like a fine wine you should slowly enjoy; this was more like chugging down beer because a few of your peers encourage you to do so. It's not a bad thing, but I want to see a slower paced movie with good development. The last movie we rented, The Unborn, failed epically in that department. That was a waste of time. Thank God it was on On Demand for free.

When it comes to books and movies, I like good plot, direction, characters, development, and mood. Surrogates is great as a sci-fi movie since it wasn't as cheesy with the creation of the machines (although them without their skin on is laughable). At least when you watch it, you wouldn't laugh at how everyone failed to make everything NOT fake. Everyone is tired of monsters looking like plastic robotic toys from a children's store. As for direction, the movie has it, but it's not done in the best way. You know how some movies make you doubt everything and everyone? That's the point, but sometimes you don't get a proper introduction of characters and their assumed motives. Apparently movies is just that. It's so filled with sexy surrogates being controlled by fat adult men, Bruce Willis' badass action scenes (he's better in Live Free or Die Hard), and a pissed of scientist that I scratched my head in confusion about 45 minutes in the movie.
I won't reveal anything big about the plot like that prophet dude so I will continue with characters.

I personally did not see any development in anyone except Tom (Willis' character). Of course he's the lead, but this statement is not a compliment. Even the "development" he has is so insignificant that you eventually either: a) not care, b) become bored, or c) laugh at the people who worked on this movie because they can't write characters. This movie is so sci-fi to the point that it drives the movie and leaves characters in the dust. Without them, what kind of plot will you have? As for Maggie, Tom's wife, you really can't feel for her because she's so self centered. (SPOILER!) Throughout the movie, she is seen in between using her surrogate, she takes lots of medication for some unknown reason. How can you get away with that? So what if they lost their son in a car crash, please tell me, those who worked on the movie, tell me HOW Tom and Maggie coped with it? Can you at least say how long ago the accident was? (END!)

For those who read the spoiler, that was what annoyed me quite a bit. You can't just throw a tragedy at someone and don't explain how he/she moved from the accident to the present time. Maybe it has relevance to the movie, maybe it doesn't; at least it helps some people connect to the characters.

Overall, it was decent, but I didn't love it. I only had interest in watching it because Breaking Benjamin's song "I Will Not Bow" was advertised for it and it played in the credits. That movie is best to rent or borrow from a friend. It's a waste of money otherwise, more so if you never watched it before.

At least I saw it with my family and I shouldn't complain too much. No matter how bad or good movies are, we watch them together as often as we can. I love my parents for that. I'm still by myself as I'm typing this and I might be on the computer until I fall unconscious. At least my day was worth it.

But of course I can't forget my friends... and my homework. Exams are on the way... why?! T-T

Sorry for the random post. Hopefully I get a more organized and formal blog up next time. Next time I WILL write down my ideas! Adios! :)

1 comment:

Corrie said...

No need to apologize, Maggie! Hell, sometimes I have no idea what to type yet I still do. You doing so tells me that you want this blog to work and are making an effort! I respect that. :)

And I agree with you on the music thing. Every day I need music. Which is why my work at the library drives me nuts. Pure silence down there! Ahhh!!! Lol.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...